THE ASHKENAZIUM CAMPUS is housed at 5 Vasvári Pál Street in the original Jewish Quarter of the city, the 7th district of Pest. The building is the historic site of the first Talmud Torah in Pest, the Budapest Talmud Association (Budapesti Talmud Egylet).
The synagogue at this site was built in 1887 according to Sándor Fellner’s design which combines neo-Gothic, early Art Nouveau and Neo-Renaissance styles. Members of the community resided in the U-shaped udvar-style building facing the synagogue, which was expanded to three floors in 1899. It is this building, newly renovated, that serves as the elegant and cozy campus of the Ashkenazium.
The Budapest Talmud Association was founded in 1842 by Ede (Moshe) Fleischman and Gusztáv (Gadiel) Taub. The Association maintained an educational institution, which also served as a house of prayer, as well as a library containing 2,000 volumes. Here Torah classes were offered daily, and Talmud classes twice daily, by two rabbis in the employ of the Association.