Curriculum

The Ashkenazium Jewish Studies MA curriculum is divided into four areas of study: History (AH), Rabbinics (AR), Intellectualism (AI), Literature (AL). The workload over the two year MA is distributed as follows:

  • 1st semester:
    • 4 compulsory lecture courses: AH101, AR101, AI101, AL101 (20 credits)
    • 1 elective from 200-level seminar courses (5 credits)
    • 1 language course (5 credits)
  • 2nd semester:
    • 4 compulsory lecture courses: AH102, AR102, AI102, AL102 (20 credits)
    • 1 elective from 200-level seminar courses (5 credits)
    • 1 language course (5 credits)
  • 3rd semester:
    • 4 electives from 200-level seminar courses (25 credits)
    • 1 language course (5 credits)
    • 2 free electives (6 credits)
  • 4th semester:
    • 4 electives from 200-level seminar courses (20 credits)
    • Master's essay (9 credits)

CLASSES

The lectures and seminars at the Ashkenazium all operate on the model of a think tank. Each course will run as an intensive week-long seminar with one teacher so as to facilitate an intimate meeting of minds and an opportunity to delve deeply into a subject matter. In some cases, supplementary teaching hours will be held online.

ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENTS

Each seminar course will involved 23 in-class hours, and 5 additional hours online. Typically, the class hour-breakdown will be as follows: Monday to Thursday 9:00-12:00 & 13:00-15:00. Friday 9:00-12:00.

Instructors have the prerogative to alter the schedule to better suit themselves and the students.

In order to pass any give course, students are expected to attend a minimum of 18 in-class hours.

TESTING & GRADING

Unless otherwise stated, the student is required to read all the assigned course material before a given seminar begins. As an incentive to do so, 15% of the grade will be based on a quiz given prior to the first class to test the student's basic familarity with the readings. The remainder of the grade (85%) will be based on an essay. Students will have the option of submitting a second draught of the essay, after receiving the instructor's feedback on the first draught, in which case the higher grade assigned to the essay will be final.